Like so many cigar brands, the arc of La Gloria Cubana’s history has two distinct chapters, parted in the middle by the Cuban Revolution and consequential state-run monopolization of the Cuban cigar industry.
La Gloria Cubana (often referred to as LGC) came on the scene in Cuba in 1885 as an exceptional yet affordable option for cigar smokers. In 1954, the brand was acquired by Ramón Cifuentes Jr. of Partagás Cigars. This venture was short-lived, as the Revolution set the cigar world ablaze in 1959. Cifuentes returned LGC to production for a short time in the 1960s before selling the rights to Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Sr., bringing us to the LGC we know today, or at least, the humble beginnings of it.
Ernesto Carrillo Sr., a Cuban born cigar maker, began production of LGC cigars in the Credito Factory of Miami, Florida in 1972.
Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr.—Ernesto Sr.’s son—began working for LGC in 1976. At only 29 years old, he would take the helm in the wake of his father’s passing in 1980. Carrillo Jr. proudly reached for new heights in leading the company his father had passionately resurrected. In the mid-1980s, LGC released a brand new blend, featuring a Nicaraguan-Dominican filling. This blend not only pushed the envelope for LGC, but challenged expectations for Dominican cigars.
LGC’s ventures into new blends came at the perfect time, just before the cigar boom of the 1990’s. The cigars made waves, and soon, LGC had no choice but to ride them all the way to the Dominican Republic where production was moved to keep up with the massive demand.
However, despite their success, the boutique soul of LGC was never lost. The homespun brand, spurred by dreams of fulfilling the palate of Little Havana, had come to find their tradition was appreciated by all cigar lovers.
Now under the masterful artisanship of Yuri Guillen, LGC continues to uphold their reputation for creative, well balanced blends with an array of boldnesses and flavors to court any palate.